Founded in 1915, Beida Hospital is the first state-owned hospital and the first-batch clinical medical school. It was initially the affiliated clinic of Beijing Medical School approved by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China. In 1946, it became a part of Peking University (also called Beida) and was renamed Beida Hospital. It didn’t get current name Peking University First Hospital until the year 2000 when Beijing Medical University and Peking University integrated after several separation and combination. In 2008, Peking University First Hospital became Central Government Designated Hospital.
Over the past century, our hospital established the first Pediatrics Department(1940), the first Urology Department (1946), the first Cardiovascular Ward in general hospital (1950s), and the major of Nephrology(1950) and Pediatric Neurology(1950s) in China. We are also in the leading position among domestic colleagues on the performance of intravenous anesthesia(1951), surgical treatment of congenital heart diseases(1950s), kidney transplantation (1960), artificial crystal embedding(1983), coronary intervention(1986), self-blood callback(1997), thoracoscope operation(1992) and mini-incision lung transplantation(2005) and so on. Therefore, Peking University First Hospital has contributed and is contributing its own efforts to Chinese medical industry.
Peking University First Hospital has 35 clinical departments, 16 technological departments, 6 institutes, totally 64 wards and 1600 available beds. Every year, over 2.7 million outpatients and emergency cases are treated, with over 72,000 patients are admitted and about 30000 operations completed. The average hospital length of stay is 7.9 day. The hospital has over 3200 full time employees，including over 220 with a professional title of professor equivalent, over 320 with a professional title of associate professor equivalent. Prof. Guo Yinglu of Urology Department in our hospital was honored as an academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering in 1999, which is a national and independent organization, composed of elected members with the highest honor in the community of engineering and technological sciences of the nation.